Baton Rouge, LA – The Academy Award Winning Actor, Denzel Washington, spoke today to a group of young teenagers at the De La Ronde Hall in downtown Baton Rouge. For nearly half an hour, Denzel spoke heart to heart with the youngsters belonging to the Boys & Girls Club of Baton Rouge.
Washington is in town filming the “Magnificent Seven” remake which continues shooting in nearby Jackson, Louisiana, tomorrow, August 3, 2015. He often speaks at the clubs around the nation as he films across the nation.
Washington also recently spoke (May 2015) at the Dillard University Graduates in New Orleans. Denzel there spoke about almost flunking out of college around 40 years ago with a 1.7 GPA. He said, “I’ve been protected. I’ve been directed. I’ve been corrected.”
What Denzel Washington Said to the Boys & Girls Club of Baton Rouge
- Whatever your gift, whatever it is you plan to do in life, don’t think that you can skip steps just because you are good at it, you may be very good at it. You have to have the fundamentals. When my son made the NFL I said, son, it’s one thing to make money but it’s another thing to know how to count it.
- Between your goals and achieving your goals you have to apply discipline and consistency, right?
- You don’t have to be number one. You gotta be the best you that you can be.
- You gotta give back what your given.
- You gotta think forward but you got to give back.
- You gotta lift others up.
- Be consistent. Keep your mind clear. Stay Humble. Say your prayers. Listen to your Momma.
- I was doing dirt.
- You can change.
- You can be first.
- You just gotta do the work.
- When you’re down there on your knees saying your prayers, say ‘thank you’ in advance for what’s already yours. I believe, it’s already yours, you just gotta do the work, gotta do the work, you gotta do the work, you gotta do the work.
by Kevin Woolsey, Baton Rouge 360.